Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Look What God Did!

God is not an interventionist. Certainly one of the most frightening things to contemplate. It’s the ultimate recognition of our powerlessness.

That's why I'm reading about Buddhist approach to prayer. They're atheistic (no concept of God as a Being) yet prayer and meditation are vital to their spirituality. I wondered, what the heck is that all about? Who do they pray to, then? And do they expect answers?

The answers are fascinating.

What drives me crazy lately is "Let's watch what God does!" Or "it was amazing what God did."

Or the kicker, "God is good," only spoken when the baby DOESN'T die, or the job isn't lost, or the biopsy is negative.

Makes me want to scream, "Lots of times the cancer isn't cured... does that mean God isn't good?"

People are so blissfully unaware of how tightly they (we) hold to certain beliefs purely for the "opiate of the masses" effect, that is, just so we can cope without going completely round the bend.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, interesting reading your posts! I'm a Christian and I don't believe we can just say God is good when everything goes right. From personal experience I know him to be good even when things have gone very pear shaped. I've been sick with a terrible illness the past 5 years and have felt his presence more than ever & that he is with me through this tough time. It might not look like he is being good to me from the outside, but I know different. I think there are lot of things that go on in the church which aren't right and the mentality of it being all about us, which is totally the opposite to what Jesus taught. I think it causes a lot of confusion and people to draw away as you have done. I'm sorry and sad to see that, I know for sure that things have happened in my life where God has related to me in a very real & personal way, so could not deny his is real. I hope you also know him to be real in your life oneday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Buddha taught that there is no need to dwell on issue that we cannot experience in our daily life.

    He taught that prayers are hindrance to enlightenment.

    Buddhists are religious followers, not followers of Buddha teaching. Buddhists may not know what Buddha taught. It is a culture and a tradition as much as Christianity is in the West.

    A person who is a Buddhist does not necessarily know all of Buddha's teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy.
    Just repent.
    I had to many THOUSANDS of times.
    God never gits tired of mortal humanity
    asking for forgiveness cuzz He's never
    tired of giving what brings YOU
    to Seventh-Heaven, dear.

    Follow me into the Son...

    The more you shall honor Me,
    the more I shall bless you.
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague
    (<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

    trustNjesus, dear,
    and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven...
    cuz the other realm aint too cool.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy.
    Just repent.
    I had to many THOUSANDS of times.
    God never gits tired of mortal humanity
    asking for forgiveness cuzz He's never
    tired of giving what brings YOU
    to Seventh-Heaven, dear.

    Follow me into the Son...

    The more you shall honor Me,
    the more I shall bless you.
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague
    (<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

    trustNjesus, dear,
    and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven...
    cuz the other realm aint too cool.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete